Thursday, July 26, 2007

friend or foe?

...I love neighbors. Just the idea of them makes me smile. Today my neighbor and friend got locked out of her house with her two kids. So she came here. I love that we can feel comfortable enough with each other that we can go to each other's house, early morning, when we all still have our pjs on, and ask for help. It is nice.
*
So I am in major re-do mode around here. We are talking, seriously, about hardwood floors in a couple of our rooms, making over the craft room and Seth is going to be building a new fence soon. I want to paint our entry way and craft room (otherwise known as formal dining room) and then, you know what? I will be through painting our house! Except the garage. Which will not happen while it is still hot outside. But yay! how exciting! Now if you talk to Seth about this, I don't think he would sound excited about any of this. We are different, he and I. He likes to talk about it, I like to do it. You know? Sometimes I move too fast for him, sometimes he moves to slow for me. Most of the time, we even each other out. Which is good.
*
So my son Rhett is into this stage where he wants to know exactly what is going on every minute of every day. If the phone rings, he immediately asks who it is. If Seth and I are talking about something, he jumps in with a question or comment about the subject he thinks we are talking about (he rarely is right). He is always asking if he can play with this friend, or go to this friend's house or call this friend. He is always making plans with friends before asking us. And. it. is. driving. me. crazy! Don't get me wrong. I love that he is so inquisitive. I love that he wants to know about things. But because he asks these things all the time, I sound so negative.

No, you cannot play with your friends right now because you aren't even dressed yet.

It is no one you know that is on the phone.

Daddy and I were not talking about anything you really want to know about.

That is really none of your business.

No, you cannot call your friend yet. It is suppertime.

Maybe later.

Maybe later.

Maybe later.

Not right now.

No!!!

You see what I mean? I don't sound friendly at all. Now I do let them play with their friends. Everyday. They know the important things. Really. And I do say yes a lot. Ask Seth. :)
*

4 comments:

Krista said...

Mallory is just like Rhett -- everything is her business and you just can't tell her "never mind." And I find myself saying "Not now" a whole lot. I don't really want to do a complicated art project the second I get out of bed, or the minute I finish the dinner dishes. I wonder how old kids have to be before they understand the concept of mental breaks?

H Noble said...

About the time you graduate college I think, Krista. Or for me anyway.
Yay for the house projects Aim! We have the majority of our new wood floor done, but still need the transitions to be special ordered and so can't put the baseboards back up till we have those done. Oh, well, what's done is wonderful!!!
H

Abbey said...

I'm sure that you were never the same way as a kid Aimee! You are a great mom and I'm sure the kids don't view you as negative.

Amanda said...

It doesn't sound mean or negative...don't feel bad!