Wednesday, July 11, 2007

getting involved

...I have been thinking of ways to get involved, helping with things that I am concerned about--the environment, global warming. I really hope that Edmond has something. I won't be able to really look into it until after school starts but I am writing this down now, so I will remember. I will be held accountable.

You see, my mom said something to me a few months ago that has stuck with me. I don't know how we got on the subject, but we were talking about how the generations behind hers (the baby boomers) are not actively involved with...well, not much of anything. They aren't doers. And if they aren't involved with things, actively helping out, then their children won't learn how to. And although I know this isn't true for everyone, it did make me think of myself and what kind of example I want to set for my children. Do I want to keep living like I do, hoping someone else will fix the problems of our world or do I want to participate in solutions to the problems? Of course the latter. Do I want to be more knowledgable on current issues and take an active role on things that are important to my kids' futures or do I want to pretend it doesn't exist? I know I don't want to pretend anymore. I know I don't want to leave the problems for my children's generations to fix them.

I am ready. I'll keep you updated...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I am sure that Edmond has something.

Mom

Krista said...

I'm feeling the itch to get involved with something, somehow, too. Let me know what you find!