Wednesday, November 07, 2007

my dogs will thank me when it's cold

...I am thankful that my mom taught me the basics of sewing. I've been thinking about getting the dogs a bed for the cold months to put in their dog house or cage when they are in the garage, but I really did not want to spend at $50 to buy them. So today I got the idea that I just needed to sew my own. I have already put one together using felt, cotton and burlap but I need something to fill it. I am going to have a velco opening so I am thinking small wood chips/shavings. Pillow fluff won't work-it will get stinky. Do you have any other ideas?

That is what I've been doing today. Lots of fun. And it will only cost me about $15 for 4 pillows. (I got way too much fabric so I'll just make 4). But that is a lot of money saved, right Seth? ;)

5 comments:

Sherry said...

Sewing comes in very handy...I'm not very good at it and lose patience..but then I haven't tried it for awhile..who knows...I was thinking of just plain pillow forms that you can buy at craft supply stores..something that is washable.

icanseeclearlynow said...

hi there. i too, have my mother to thank for teaching me to sew. i am in the midst of sewing curtains for our kitchen. i have 2 dogs. that bed idea is a good one. hmmm... woodchips. that's a good idea. i'd be interested to hear other suggestions.

:)

maria

Anonymous said...

Our two Golden Retrievers tear up EVERYTHING! So, we started putting hay/straw into their houses for extra warmth. They may mess around with it, but it is easy to clean up and it won't hurt them if they chew on it. Maybe that would work inside your dog pillows, plus you could add to it or throw it out and put fresh in when needed.

Christy

Toby E. said...

another idea might be old rags/tshirts. They could easily be removed and washed, but nothing you would miss if they had to be discarded.

H Noble said...

No help here. My cat is pouting as if he knows that October was his birth month and he didn't get his standard birthday gift of a new bed. He's just going to have to wait till Christmas this year! Hey, I vacuumed his old one- what more could he ask of his pregnant mommy?
H