Wednesday, November 14, 2007

this is why moms don't have nice things

...The other day the boys were outside and they ran around my little tile-top table ($15 at Kohls) and it fell over and some of the little tiles fell off. Well, the boys were very apologetic and I said it was really okay but they insisted on helping me fix it. So I got some glue and we glued the tiles back on the table. Now, you can tell where the tiles fell off, it doesn't look the same and really to anyone, it doesn't look all that great.l

But to me, it is beautiful.

And every time I look at it, I will remember how they worked together and glued on over 50 tiles on that table. Even though they thought it was so hard. They were so concerned because they thought it was an expensive table! I didn't want to tell them there was no way I would ever spend a lot on a table that was bound to get knocked over by two little boys. Because I guess that point didn't matter. What mattered is they tried to fix their mistake.

I am thankful that they cared at that moment.

And I am thankful that I have had that moment to remember these past few days when the boys have been fighting, pouring pepper into cereal, spilling things, and being whiny.

And I am thankful I have that moment to remind me not to buy nice things.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your day will come---and then the grandchildren come to visit! Sandy

Toby E. said...

Yea for two boys who owned up to a mistake and did their best to fix it! And yea for a new memory and for knowing that one day you will have the nice stuff weather that is things for the house and/or two brothers who have become the best of friends!

Sherry said...

You've got the most important aspect of this Aimee...you don't "need", "NICE" things..you have 2 happy, healthy, loving young children...that's all you need. Things don't matter..people do. And the lessons they are learning as they grow...that's all that really counts.

H Noble said...

So sweet that they felt bad and fixed it. My mom reminds my brother of the blown-glass collection she had when he was little. I made the mistake one day of saying, "I didn't know you collected blown glass" and was answered with, "That's because your brother broke every single one of him with that ball in the house!" He also knocked the Christmas tree over one year playing with his ball. Oops!
H

Krista said...

That's sweet. And Sandy's comment is funny!

Strangely enough, my girls don't touch any of my mother-in-law's nice things. She has crystal and glass and porcelain stuff all over and they never bother it.

My house is another story. I wonder why that is?