Tuesday, June 24, 2008

at the library

...we picked up a mere 25 books in all, a number Seth found shocking, but I think it is a great number to keep us busy for 2 weeks.

Are you wondering what books I picked up? If not, sorry, I'm telling you anyway:

The Poems of Dylan Thomas (Do not go gentle into that good night, Rage, rage against the dying of the light.)

Collected Poems for Children (Why shouldn't I subject my children to poetry? After I read the first one, however, Rhett asked if I could please read a funny one because that just was not cutting it. Sigh.)

Everything I know I Learned From TV (a good one for the pool, I think)

Not So! Popular Myths About America from Columbus to Clinton

I Am Scout: The Biography of Harper Lee

and

Capote: A Biography.

So there you go.

5 comments:

Abbey said...

I love summertime reading. Especially since it is the only time I really have to enjoy lots of books. I'm currently hooked on the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. It's aimed towards teens but reads really well. It is of course the complete oposite of anything you just checked out!!

Amanda said...

Sounds like some great reading...if you really want to get some poetry for the boys you should try --- Silverstein...I totally blanked on his first name, but of course I will remember after I post this. He has cute poems...my son loves them. You probably may have heard of some of his stuff....where the sidewalk ends....runny babbit...etc. Hope you like them! Have fun reading!

Anonymous said...

Abbey - my students LOVE the Twilight series. (Movie coming out soon...) Read City of Ember & series - again, my students loved it, but so did I!

Good choices Aimee - makes my novel, Something Borrowed, sound silly! :)

Please, please continue to expose the boys to poetry...one area my students are always lacking in.

Christy

Anonymous said...

25 books! WOW! You are truly my child. I second Shel Silverstein for the boys. There is another poet whose name has slipped my mind who writes really good (funny) children's poetry. If you get them hooked on funny, they can transition to more serious stuff later on. Just expose them to rhythm and rhyme. Sorry the old English teacher just slipped out and wouldn't go away.

Mom

Anonymous said...

It's me again. The poet is Jack Prelutsky.

Mom