Saturday, June 14, 2008

happy father's day

...to my dad, to Seth's dad and to Seth himself.

You know, I think about how blessed my kids are to have such a great dad. And it isn't about the showing how to hit a baseball or throw a football. It isn't about watching great movies with them. It isn't about going to Sonic to get milkshakes together or shop together or playing cards together. That stuff is great, yes. That stuff is important, double yes. But why I think my kids are blessed is because of who their dad is. He lets them know it is okay to laugh at yourself. He lets them know it is okay to be afraid of things. He teaches them about God and Jesus. He pays attention to their questions and listens attentively when they are talking to him. He shows them that working hard and getting a job done right is important. He encourages them not to quit, to keep on trying their best. He lets them know he loves them, no matter what.

I love you Seth. Thanks for being such a great dad to our sons.
****
Dad, a little note: If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have ever learned the importance of checking the oil in my car. I wouldn't have known who to turn to when my brakes stop working. If it weren't for you, I would not have ever "looked it up," and I still would be clueless on a lot of things. If it weren't for you, I would never tell my children they are "more trouble than a goat" or hear Rhett and Noah say, "That's bad business." Thanks for being a cool grandad. I love that my boys think you wrestled with a crocodile. And thank you for always knowing everything. Because of you, I don't even need a newspaper. Ha. Ha.

Happy Father's Day. We love you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said! Happy Father's Day to Seth -

Christy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm really proud that you and your sibs remember stuff I tried to teach you. Fact is, I (and Mom) had pretty good material to work with.
The boys will someday get the story straight. It was an alligator.

Love,
Dad

Krista said...

Well, I don't think I can top Daddy's comment, so I'll just stop writing now.