Tuesday, August 09, 2011

inspiration to creation: French Burlap Pillows

Several months ago, I saw some pillows that I loved.  You have probably seen them too.  They are everywhere.  Like this:

My Inspiration
from Restoration Hardware

I decided that those type of pillows would go really well with my living room.  But, I wanted a little bit of color because my couches are brown, my walls are dark brown, by floor is brown...you get the idea.  So, I did this:

My Creation

I have four, each in a different color.  The reason you just see one finished is because I finished sewing one pillow and then didn't finish the others for another two months.  But now they are all finished.  If I had to do it over, I would pick another way to iron on the No. #s.  I printed off the design onto iron-on transfer paper, but then had to painstakenly cut out the N and o and . and the number.  Because of all the curls, it was very difficult and already the 4 has come off a little.  I also didn't use burlap because I didn't think it would be very soft to lay your head, so I used a heavy cotton fabric.  But I do like them in my living room.  They add a little splash of color and also were not as expensive as the other pillows I have seen.  These are "the boys can lay on them and throw them and if they don't last a few years, its okay" pillows, which every family with growing children should have if they are going to have pillows.  :)

I have recently come across some designer knock off blogs that have many tutorials of things that you find in a catalog but can't justify spending a ton of money on it so instead they make their own.  I was inspired and did a few works of art for my bedroom that I'll show you a little later.  Our bedroom is in the middle of getting its own makeover but I need to paint and I just don't want to yet.  I'm still tired from painting all this past year! So maybe soon...

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Krista said...

Beautiful! You're so good at this kind of thing.

Karen said...

I really like those.