Sunday, August 07, 2011

I may see the sun rise

*fresh blueberries, thrown in homemade pancake batter.  What could be better?

7:02 am. That is the time when the bus comes to pick up Rhett and his bus stop that is no longer right out the front door.  It is actually .42 miles away if we want to be precise.  (The school does apparently). 

7:02 am.

If you know me, or even read this blog a little bit, you know that I don't get up early.  Being a stay-at-home mom has afforded me the luxury of (gasp) sleeping in until 8 am or so.  Especially now that the boys are older and get up to watch tv before wanting breakfast (at least in the summer). 

Even during the school year, Rhett and Noah didn't have to be at school until 8:50 am.  We could get up at 7:30 eat cereal or frozen waffles, get dressed, and make lunches and be out the door by 8:25 or 8:30.  (And this was when the bus stopped right in front of our house around 8:15 am) 

You can see where I'm going with this. 

I don't claim to be a morning person but have recently realized that probably nobody really wants to be a morning person.  If given the chance, wouldn't anyone want to sleep in a little later? But most don't have that choice.  And now I won't either.  So I have a choice to make.  Either drag myself out of bed, realizing I woke up late, hussle Rhett out of bed, get him to gobble down breakfast and yell at him to hurry up, and we all leave feeling mad and streesed, or I wake up, make a nice* breakfast for the family, have everything ready, wake up Rhett and when he comes down stairs, everything is calm.  Seth can probably take Rhett to his bus stop and then I can do the same for Noah, whose bus doesn't come until 8:28 am.  If I look at it that way, instead of "Aww, I have to wake up early.  Do I have to? Can't I sleep in???" then the choice is easy to make.  I know when I was a child, I never felt hurried or harrassed or stressed in the mornings.  I want the same for my children. 

It won't be easy to do, but it is something I feel I must.  And I know the rest of you must be rolling your eyes, thinking, "Aimee's finally joining the grown-up party" and all and I apologize if you are but isn't this one of the purposes of a blog: a kind of personal enlightenment confessional?

So there you go.  A change is coming.  A better me may be emerging.  I may become, gulp, a morning person one of these days too. 
I

*By nice, I mean, not cereal every day.  I can fix pancakes like the picture above, more often.  I can make french toast.  I have several recipes I want to try out that I can make ahead of time (ham and cheese crossants, anyone?) so that should help too. 

6 comments:

Karen said...

Welcome to the real world. I don't know many school districts where the kids don't have to be at school until nearly 9:00. Which, in my opinion, is much more civilized!

Anonymous said...

We too at Coronado will be starting a whole 5 minutes earlier this year...yep, 5 minutes. And we will be ending 5 minutes later - that is the one that really upsets me!

Is it just out of the question to take him yourself & be able to get up & go a little later? Are the boys at the same school? So many questions left unanswered! :)

Christy

aimee said...

Actually, Christy, Seth and I talked and he is going to take Rhett to school on his way to work and I will take Noah an hour later. They are at different schools this year and start at different times. Yay us.

Abbey said...

Yea for the positive outlook. After years of waking at 5:30 I'm looking forward to continuing my streak of sleeping till at least 7. And yes I do thank God he gave me a kiddo who sleeps well at night. :-)

Anonymous said...

Feel blessed that your kids don't have to feel stressed every morning....what a fantastic goal. I have been working and working on that and can't seem to get there. Let me know what you come up with. My kids will thank their Aunt Aimee if mommy isn't such a lunatic every morning. MKH

Krista said...

I set this goal for myself every year and I always fall short. I blame it on my kids being uncooperative, though. Ha!