Tuesday, August 16, 2011

inspiration to creation: Red Fern Prints

I like to tear out pages from catalogs when I find something that I like. I either want to create something like it or hopefully buy it. I keep all these pages in a folder and go back to it when I am finally ready to do a project.  Last week, I needed ideas on what to do with one of our bedroom walls.  We had moved some things around and this one wall was completely empty.  What to do? 

I am not a patient person, so I chose something that I thought I could try to recreate.  I came across this page:

My Inspriration
from Ballard Designs (I could not find an image online, they must not sell these particular prints anymore, so I had to take a picture of the page.  These prints are made by artist Patrick Wright and were priced for around $570 for the set of three)

I had some 12x16 canvas paper, paint and brushes so I just made my own flower prints:

My Creation
It took several steps, and the lighting in my bedroom is terrible for pictures, but I hope you can get an idea of what I did.  They have been grey-washed (instead of white washed) and hopefully, when I repaint my bedroom, they'll go well with the color I have in mind.  I have a yellow and white comforter, red accents and hopefully will paint my bedroom a grey-brown.  They aren't perfect, but for now, I like them.  I only spent money on the frames (which wasn't that much), so if I go with something different later on, it won't be a big deal. 

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Krista said...

Wow, those are beautiful! Nice work. Can you come decorate my house when you're finished with yours?

Karen said...

Very nice. You are so creative!

Anonymous said...

They look very nice, Aimee. Good job. Sandy

Anonymous said...

Ooooo I like them! An you are in fact one of the most creative people I know!

Christy