Thursday, January 22, 2009

can you get salmonella from talking about it?

...Reading yesterday's paper this morning, I laughed out loud at the Baby Blues comic strip. I don't know if you read that comic, but it is always so right on with how kids and parents are (and two men write it, which is amazing to me!) and what they go through. Anyway, Hammie was saying that he was exposed to chicken pox, strep and head lice and then asked his mom what was new with her. Ha!

We have been going through our own discussions on communicable diseases and other illnesses. Every few days, Rhett asks me if he has the chicken pox because his doctor told us they would need a new chicken pox vaccine soon. The boys declined on getting one this year-they would wait thank you very much- until next year. I don't know if Rhett regrets his decision or not, but he thinks every bump on him is chicken pox.

When he had strep, we had long talks about what is contagious or not, what is a bacteria or a virus and so on.

Now with the recall of products with peanut butter because they may be tainted with salmonella we have had long talks about what that is, why do people die, is it in every kind of peanut butter, and if that means we never can eat peanut butter again, and don't I think this Oreo Mix from Brauhm's tastes like peanut butter, really because it sure tastes like it, you know the filling tastes a little like peanut butter, we just want to be sure and you get the idea.

So, what's new with you?

1 comment:

Krista said...

This is something I haven't mentioned to my oldest child. She's already a hypochondriac, I can't imagine what the prospect of contaminated foods would do to her anxiety level!