Tuesday, January 06, 2009

one word

...Some of you may know of the One Little Word that Ali Edwards encourages her readers to choose at the beginning of each year. I really haven't done it in the past because, well, I really don't have a good reason for not doing it, I just didn't. Anyway, some of you might also know that this past year was a hard year for me. So I thought that maybe I should have a little word, all my own, to help me live out this year to the fullest.

I thought long and hard (well, I tried to but with two boys jabbering in your ear it is hard to think too deeply) and came up with a word that will help me do all I want to do this year.

Rediscover.

I want to rediscover my brain. I had one once upon a time that I used fairly often. Now, not so much. I am thinking seriously about going back to school and also I am going go read more books on things that my dad would read (more history, less fluff).

I am going to rediscover my passion for the environment. It has gone by the wayside and I feel like I have failed. I was so excited last year about not using plastic bags. Now I don't think even think about bringing my reusable bags. Not good.

I am going to rediscover the reasons I like my husband. Not that I forgot them, but with kids and work and life sometimes Seth comes last when he should come first. It is easier not to work on your marriage than to carve out time for it. Much to easy. So I want to work on that.

I want to rediscover my creativity. I have all this creative energy but haven't found just the right outlet for it. So I will be looking and trying some things out.

I want to rediscover my organization skills. Ok, I really never had those but maybe I can rediscover the reasons I want to be organized. ;)

Lastly, I want to rediscover my friends and what is going on in their lives. I feel like I haven't been a good friend lately to many of my dear friends and that isn't fair to them.

Rediscovering myself, love, my passions and my friendships is going to be challenging. I can feel the gears in my brain starting to move already. It is going to be a good year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a good word! Good luck.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great list! I too am thinking about going back for my masters. Exciting stuff! :)

Christy

aimee said...

Good for you Christy!

Krista said...

That is a very good word. Good luck! (I hear you on the brain thing!)

H Noble said...

I think its a wonderful word and you've already done some rediscovering just by making that list. And if you are referring to me in that 'dear friends' category, please don't feel bad. I'm right there with you!

Love the picture of you and Seth!