Wednesday, September 20, 2006

hopelessly devoted to you

…This list is for my husband because he has been with me throughout my whole 20s. He has really been a big part of who I have am and hope to become. I know I have frustrated him beyond belief at times but he still loves me. I also know that we still have a lot to learn and to work on, but I am glad that Seth is my partner. Thanks for being there for me! Love you sweetie!

29 lessons I have learned from being married
1. Fight for a solution, not about the problem.
2. Sharing is as important when you are married as when you were a child
3. Being selfish doesn’t work. Period.
4. You always have a friend.
5. Surprises, little and big, are always appreciated
6. Kindness goes a long way.
7. So does compassion.
8. Brutal honesty is sometimes a necessary thing, but look at #6.
9. Sometimes little white lies are necessary too. (like complimenting on the burnt dinner)
10. You have to make sacrifices.
11. Appreciate what each does for the other.
12. If he wants to cuddle at night, let him. :)
13. Don’t try to change each other.
14. Be happy for each other.
15. Listen to each other. Really listen
16. Love each other unconditionally.
17. Laugh together. Do something fun together. Life is too short not too.
18. Sometimes you will have to do something you don’t want to. Don’t worry, it all evens out.
19. Always keep the focus on God.
20. Be the first to stand up for the other.
21. Men cannot read a woman’s mind.
22. Love does mean having to say you’re sorry. If you don’t, you’ll be sorry.
23. Support each other’s dreams.
24. Be good to one another. Don’t be mean just because you can.
25. When your spouse walks through the door, give him/her a hug. It means more than you think it will.
26. It is still nice to hear a wonderful compliment, no matter how long you have been married.
27. Go on dates. Even if it is a stay-at-home, watch a movie, kids are in the other room kind of date.
28. You are partners. Treat each other as such.
29. Remember why you fell in love. Then, when you are angry, think about that and you’ll be surprised how you anger doesn’t matter anymore.

Ok, what lessons did I leave out? Let me know, okay? Tomorrow, is the last list you will have to endure, I promise. :)

3 comments:

Krista said...

Hm, you were pretty comprehensive, I've been trying to think of something else all day. How about...Don't "one-up" the other's complaints. (e.g., "I'm really tired." "You think YOU'RE tired? I woke up earlier than you!") It's much nicer to sympathize than to start an argument.

Anonymous said...

I have learned to be much more patient - somethings are just not worth getting upset about. This is still a work, or a lesson, in progress!

And I for one am enjoying the lists!

Christy

H Noble said...

I've learned how important it is to have separate time too. It can benefit your marriage as much as together time. I've learned to appreciate his friendships outside our marriage instead of getting my feelings hurt he wasn't spending that time with me. I need my friends too!
H