Friday, September 01, 2006

japanese beetles

...are invading our little willow tree. They are clumped together and look like they are having a great feast. When I first saw them I thought they were locusts because locusts love willow trees. Or at least they loved the willow tree in my front yard at my childhood home. (Doesn't that sound somewhat pretentious! Ha!) But, upon further study, I realized they don't look like locusts at all. So I looked yahooed "green, flying, large beetle that likes willow trees" and Japanese beetles came up. Isn't technology great?

Apparently, Japanese beetles are bad business. They lay eggs in your lawn and the larva eat your grass roots. They could possibly eat this whole tree (yes, I am being dramatic). The weird thing is they aren't even that big of threat in Japan because of natural enemies. But here in America--they are huge nuisance. They were dive bombing us they other day while the boys were on the trampoline. They are loud and attract wasps. So, Seth is going to get rid of them.

Other than the beetles, I really love Edmond so far. I love our house, the neighborhood, the hills and how we can see the beautiful sky from our windows-instead of the house beside us. I love that it is actually cool in the mornings now as we wait for the school bus. I love that we have butterflies in our yard on those cool mornings.

Today I told Noah to sit really still and maybe a butterfly would think he was a flower and land on him. And one almost did, but Noah got fidgety. He was more interested in chasing them. He wanted to touch their wings. I told him if he touched their wings, their magic dust would come off and they couldn't fly anymore. Noah's response: "Then it would be on me and I could fly!" Ahhh, the innocence of children.

6 comments:

Krista said...

Yay for Noah's imagination! I am glad you're liking Edmond and hope we can come visit you soon!

Krista said...

Also, how weird that we both posted pictures of trees today!

aimee said...

That isweird! I hope y'all can come soon too!

Unknown said...

Oh my you ar3e so brave --- They would scare me and I would stay inside!!! LOL!

H Noble said...

Hope you get your beetle problem resolved- we had some insect that looked like tree bark on our ash tree. A few doses of pesticide got rid of them, but the tree looked really bad and we didn't know why for a while- we couldn't see them!
That's adorable about Noah being able to fly!
H

H Noble said...

Thanks Aimee:
You made me break out into: "I'll Fly Away, oh Glory, I'll Fly Away...."

;)
Justin