Wednesday, September 13, 2006

the state fair

...of Oklahoma starts Saturday. It is the 100th year so it is expected to be a huge celebration. I had actually forgot that we bought tickets to see Disney on Ice: The Incredibles for that day and was going to go to my hometown 100th celebration and parade, but happened to remember when I saw a sign while getting gas. Oh yeah, we are going to the state fair.

I am actually more excited than that. Almost forgetting about it was not because of my lack of excitement, it was my mommy brain. (or the lack of brain). I have wanted to go to a Disney on Ice forever and now that The Incredibles are the show, I know the boys will enjoy it too.

I have never been to a state fair. I have read horror stories about them (falling ferris wheels stories that make you want to never, ever get on one), read about their unusual and delicious food in the paper (turkey legs, roasted corn-on-the-cob, Indian tacos and cinnamon rolls are the favorites around here), and heard about the people that never miss a state fair. Ever.

So this will be an interesting experience for us. I want to find out what kind of food an elephant ear is. I want the boys to try funnel cake. I want to try an Indian Taco. I want to find out if this is really worth going to year after year. Whether it is or not, you will read about it hear. Hopefully, I will remember my camera. And some Rolaids.

3 comments:

Krista said...

The favorite food at our State Fair is Deep-Fried Snickers bars. I think they have fried twinkies too.

We saw Incredibles on Ice last year and is was pretty cool. The Omnidroid was amazing.

It's our town's 100th anniverary? I had no idea!

H Noble said...

The great State Fair of Texas is going on too! The favorite trend here is fried oreos. Haven't tried one though.
I love The Incredibles! Jared got us into it and of course we own it now!
Have fun!!!! I know I will be having a blast at Maize Days. Sorry you won't be there.
H

H Noble said...

"Howdy folks, this is Big Tex a talkin' to you, Welcoming you to the Great State Fair of Texas."

Holly and I love fairs. We went to the South Plains Fair as often as we could and have gone to the Great State Fair of Texas every year since being in Dallas. Not only do you need your Rolaids but you need your debit card too!!!

It is expensive, at least here, but it is great fun!