Friday, March 09, 2007

growing up is hard (edited)

...especially if you are a mom. I was in a serious sad mood last night. We took Noah to his first soccer practice and he did so well (which is exciting) but I couldn't help but think of this:

My baby is growing up. He is losing his chubby cheeks that I loved so dearly. He is no longer the little boy that just watched his big brother play soccer, he is the one playing soccer. How did this happen? When did I blink?

But, you should have seen him. He knew where to kick the ball. He was good at controlling it. The game is going to be fun to watch. So I am so happy for him.

And, classic Noah, he made everyone laugh because at the end of practice their coach was trying to get the kids to come up with a team name. There are girls and boys on his team so of course, we had some "Ponies" , "Teddy Bears" which made the coach cringe. She was trying to get them to have a touch name--"Broncos" or "Grizzlies". So she looked at Noah and asked him, "What name do you think the team should have?"

Noah's answer: "Squids."

eta: Unfortunately, the team is not the Squids. They are the Sharks. Noah was happy because they both are found in the ocean. :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, did the coach go for squids?! I am so glad that Noah did well. I thought he would. Let me know his schedule since he asked both Gary and me if we were coming to a game!

Mom

Toby E. said...

Tell Noah good luck. And I hope they did go with squids. That sounds like such a fun name for a soccer team!

And I know how you feel about them growing up. While on vacation, my husband went to a location to collect a bunch of different kinds of cacti for me to plant at home. The girls were helping, and I was standing back watching them. After while the girls turned to do their own thing with some of the suvoniers (sp?) we bought. They were playing so sweetly together (something fairly rare), and I got all teary eyed thinking of them growing out of these fun, sweet ages. Just remind yourself as I do myself, there are so many more fun, sweet ages to come!

H Noble said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
H Noble said...

I love the Squids. I want to play on that team. Great idea Noah! Did they go with it?

Justin

H Noble said...

How sweet. I'm glad he's doing well and enjoying it. And its hard not to be sad that they are growing up, but look what you have to look forward to! Just cherish each day in the meantime.
H

Christy said...

aww what a great team name.. sorry they didn't go for it! Glad he is having a fun time playing soccer and that pic is just adorable!! =)

Krista said...

Aw, I miss cute little Noah too. (And little Rhett, and little Mallory, etc.) But now you have cute big Noah who thinks up awesome things like "Squids!" It's a tradeoff, and it's usually worth it.

eMeLiNe Seet said...

going to dab my eyes ! LOL... *sigh* will feel how u feel in a few years time ...

Cheryl Wray said...

LOVE his team name suggestion. That is classic!!! and I know you are SO proud of how well he did. It is just so exciting to see your child get out there and do well!
I kow what you mean, though, about seeing your babies grow up. McKenna is so excited because she gets to ger driver's permit on the 30th of this month. i'm excited to see her becoming a wonderful young woman and I remember back to how exciting it was at that age, but it's also SO HARD!! So hard to see her becoming independent, knowing that she will need me a little bit less and less as time goes by. Just makes me want to hug her harder everyday!!! (and thank goodness she still lets me do that!)