Wednesday, October 17, 2007

everything I love: surprises, food and birthdays!

...Today is a weird day, weather wise. We have a tornado watch for the entire day! It is very eerie feeling outside too. And, two men are in my backyard, right now, trying to put together the play set that we bought for the boys (Surprise!) I am very excited for this play set. One, because it has swings and Noah and I (uh, I mean Rhett) love swinging. Ok, I mean me. I love swinging and that brings me to Two, this play set is strong enough for adults to play on it too! Three, we had a play set in Midland and the boys played on it a lot so I am so happy that we are going to have one again. Plus, if we move, this thing is going to come with us. It has a lifetime guarantee and the company will move it for us. Excellent! So, I am hoping that it will be put together before any major weather happens. Mainly, I don't want those men to get caught in the storm. Of course, I will let them in, but you know what I mean. :)

****
Sherry asked if I could post a recipe from the Deceptively Delicious cookbook. I will do better than that. I will post a recipe from that book and also my Mom's Manhattan Meatballs that I added puree to. Your son will love these meatballs, Sherry. Every man and boy who has ever tried these meatballs love them.

Note: To puree, roast or steam vegetables (I roasted the butternut sqaush for about 45 minutes and steamed the carrots and spinach) then puree them in a food processor. Add a little water with the carrots and spinach to make it creamy. The cookbook comes with all the instructions on how-to puree.

Manhattan Meatballs

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground sausage
1/2 c chopped onion
2 eggs
2 c bread crumbs
1/2 c butternut squash puree
salt and pepper to taste
dried parsley (a big pinch)

Mix beef, sausage, onion, eggs, bread crumbs, puree, and seasonings together. Make into meatballs and brown in a pre-heated skillet. Place into a baking dish.

For sauce:
1 c apricot preserves
1/4 c carrot puree
1/2 c barbeque sauce

Mix together and pour over meatballs. Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Serve with rice or couscous or noodles.

Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious Brownies
Note: These brownies will only get better. The first one is good. Then on the second day, you will find that it is even more delicious. By the third day, you are hooked! Be sure to let them completely cool, so that the spinach flavor totally disappears. I sprinkled powdered sugar on mine. So yummy!

Nonstick Cooking Spray
3 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
1/2 c carrot puree
1/2 c spinach puree
1/2 c firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
2 T trans-fat-free-soft tub margarine spread (I used Canola Oil instead)
2 t pure vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
3/4 c oat flour or all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8x8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or over a low flame. (I melted it in the microwave)
3. In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine (or oil), and vanilla, and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1-2 minutes.
4. Whisk in the egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.
5. Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35-40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 bars.

Makes 12 brownies
Info: 133 calories per serving, 3 grams of fiber.

(from Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld, pg 156)

****
Today we celebrate another birthday in my family (3 in a row!). Happy Birthday to Gran Valoris! I talked to my dad last night and my mom made him an apple cobbler so he was happy. :)

****
I hope you have a fantastic Wednesday!

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Aimee, thanks for honouring my request!! Love this and I can't wait to try!!
Happy birthday to your grandmother, hope everyone has a great day.
And lets hope that tornado doesn't amount to anything!
As for swinging...I'm a swinger from way back..I love,love, love to swing!

Krista said...

Hope there's no tornado! How exciting for the boys. I used to love to swing but now it makes me dizzy. :(

H Noble said...

Too fun about the swing set!! You know, you still have to do your chores... :)

I bought 'Deceptively Delicious' yesterday!!! We both need to work on our weight and are seriously lacking the motivation to eat veggies, so I thought this would be a fabulous solution, and we want to have good habits in place for when our little boy starts eating real food. Thanks for the tip! I read all the way up to the recipes last night and I'm excited to get started!
H