Monday, October 08, 2007

What are they saying now?

...Today both boys learned about Columbus. Rhett even made a cool 3 boats on waves which I was very impressed with. So at supper, I asked them about ol' Christopher.

Me: What did you learn about Columbus today?
Rhett: He sailed in 3 ships.
Me: Why?
Rhett: Because he wanted to.
Me: Well, what did he find?
Noah: Indians! And you know what? They were naked!
Rhett: Yeah, because back then...
Noah: Rhett! Don't interrupt me!
Noah: You know what they wore back then? They wore skins of cheetahs, not clothes.
Me: Oh. I did not know that.
Noah: Yeah. Cheetah skins.
Me: So, what did Christopher Columbus find besides the Indians?
Rhett: Umm.
Me: Why do Americans celebrate Columbus day?
Rhett: Because he liked to sail?
Me: Was it because he discovered America?
Rhett: Oh. Yeah. Sure.

That is still the story right?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is about the way my class is-- never remember the important parts! Sandy

Krista said...

I can't stop laughing about the cheetah skins...

Sherry said...

I'm going with Columbus is celebrated in your country because he loved to sail..not only that he could take as many boats as he wanted to just because (is there a better reason?). I'm loving the cheetah skins on the Indians by the way...updating a classic story with the latest in fashion!!
You have got to love kids and how they "hear" a story, what they choose is important and how they re-tell it!!

Anonymous said...

Me too, Krista. I love the cheetah skins.

Mom

Amanda said...

Too cute!

Cheryl Wray said...

LOVE that conversation! Priceless!!

H Noble said...

This reminds me of trying out for UIL storytelling. I never made the first cut b/c I only remembered the unimportant details, and not the major themes!
H