Monday, October 15, 2007

oh yeah...Blog Action Day

...On Saturday I posted that Monday is Blog Action Day and then I forgot! Anyway, Blog Action Day is a day where bloggers post about a single issue to create awareness. The issue for this action day is the environment.

My husband jokingly refers to me as "Conservation Girl" but the truth is, I am not nearly as close to being the conservationist as I want to be. But here is where we are now:

1. We have now replaced half of our lightbulbs with the energy-efficient kind.
2. We now recycle full time. All paper, cans and plastic go in the recycle bin.
3. I waste no bottled water. If we happen to forget that we have bottled water (in the car, around the house) and it is no longer what I call drinkable, we water the plants with it. And yes, we don't buy bottled water that often anymore. Just for the kids' lunches and if we plan on having company.
4. I am letting 4 of our magazine subscriptions run out. (2 for the kids and 2 for me). That leaves us 4 magazines left. (I just realized that we have 8 subscriptions to magazines. Yikes. Of course, 2 are new subscriptions that I bought from my son's fundraiser, so we never had 8 all the time.) Oh and we recycle those. Or pass around. :)
5. I tell my husband all the time that we should plant bamboo. Somewhere. He thinks I am kidding. ;)
6. I try to get all my errands done all at once, in an effort to save gasoline. It is still hard and I still find myself going to and from my house a lot because of school and swimming and such, but I am working on it.
7. I secretly praise my husband or myself ever time we sweep up the grass after mowing. We don't use a leaf blower and never have. Yea for us.
8. I unplug my cell phone charger if I am not using it.
9. My mom will attest to the fact that we keep our thermostat at 78. Seth would put it at 79 if he could.
10. I am spreading the word to conserve. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

And if you haven't read my first post of today, read on...

3 comments:

Sherry said...

You are definitely doing your part in your part of the world to make things better. Once I had figured out what was going on (duh!!), I blogged about my thoughts on my breast cancer blog. I'm convinced there is a correlation between the environment and the rising incidence of breast cancer in young women.

http://www.abreastintheworld.blogspot.com

H Noble said...

I'm proud of you Aimee. We do our part on some things, but take the easy way out on others.
A tip on the bamboo- I've heard that it will completely take over wherever you plant it and its next to impossible to stop or get rid of. Keep that in mind, or at least do some research first.
H

Amanda said...

Yay! You are doing great things! Hopefully I can do more than I am doing now!