Wednesday, August 30, 2006

i'll confess

...to some little truths about me. Why? Because I scrapped a layout today about a friend of mine and it made me think about how close I came to losing that friendship. So I started thinking about why I almost lost this friend. And I came to these conclusions:

Confession #1: I am a bad roommate. I was a bad roommate in college and I still am a bad roommate to my husband. I am a messy person by nature and only clean when I absolutely have to. I am trying to get better at this but back in college, I was terrible. I think that I was also insensitive to my roommates (I had 2 roomies in college before getting married) back then too. Honestly, I don't know all the reasons why I was a bad roommate, I just know that I wasn't what a roommate should be. Thank goodness my husband loves me and overlooks all my faults in the roommy department. The friend I am talking about in this instance was not just my roommate but also one of my best friends. After that year, we were no longer either. We were still friends, but not close friends. What makes me sad about all of this is that I didn't realize that we lost something special until 8 years later. Which leads me to:

Confession #2: I hate being wrong. There I said it. I will get down right defensive if anyone says that I am wrong. Even when I absolutely know that I am at fault, I refuse to admit it and even pretend I don't know anything about it. I let things come between a friend and me and not fix it because I don't think it is my fault. If I could change anything about myself, it would be this. But:

Confession #3: I am stubborn. Very stubborn. Enough said about that one.

Luckily, I have grown enough to know what is good in life. Because I have moved a lot (at least 6 times in the 8 years I have been married), I don't have that many close friends. I prayed a lot about that and asked God to open my heart to people that could be good friends. And He has answered this prayer in many ways. He has helped me appreciate the people in my life who have been there for everything, He has opened doors to new friendships, and He has helped me realize that some friends have been there all along--I just had to let them back in and ask to be let back in their lives as well.

So, thank you for reading this. It has been hard to write those things about myself. And thank you to my friends, my new ones, my old ones, my old-new again one(the subject of this post and she and everyone else probably knows who she is), my family and my closest for being there for me. I am going to do my best to make sure you know that I appreciate and love you.

Have a great day! Hugs!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not supposed to make me cry at work. That's not fair.

I love you so much and see the same three things in myself as well. I wasn't a good roommate because I didn't love you for you- I got too caught up in being neat-freak (I still am) and being jealous that you had Seth. I knew it was wrong, but kept my feelings inside and let it drive us apart. Its not all your fault, please don't think that. I too didn't realize how much I missed you till I got you back. We've both grown up and that's what matters. We'll make this work.

Thank you for the kind words and for everything. I love you more than you know.

Krista said...

I don't remember the Johnny Cash thing (I think that happened right after my baby fell out of bed) but I do remember the Fay Dunaway thing. Ha!

I have trouble admitting I'm wrong too. Good thing I'm never wrong!

aimee said...

Oh yeah, you weren't in the room when Johnny happened. I forgot about the Fay thing though! Hee hee.

Abbey said...

Hey Aims,
Don't beat yourself up. Same thing happened to me and my old roommate but we too have worked things out. After all, I think everyone goes through a phase in college they'd love to change. I know I did. Anyways, what's important now is holding on to your friends...both old and new. Love you bunches!

Anonymous said...

You were, and I am sure still are, a great roomie! Oh gosh, everyone has their little quirks about them, not to mention how much they get on your nerves when you are living in close quarters. :)

A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be! So, here is to the old friends, the new friends, and my very best friend!

Lots of love!
Christy

Unknown said...

I have many things in common with you! LOL!