Wednesday, April 25, 2007

these are the days

...Just because I did one thing last night, I changed a little boy's view of his day. After supper, Noah and Rhett went outside to play. I told them they could not play in their sandbox because it was too wet and I really didn't want to deal with the mess. Noah had been complaining about this being the "worst day" pretty much all day, which I can understand--it rained pretty much all afternoon and they didn't get to play with their friends.

Anyway, they were playing and I was trying to clean the house while listening to music and Keith Urban's song, "These are the Days" came on.

these are the days that we'll remember.
these are the times that won't come again
the highest of flames becomes an ember
and you gotta live them while you can.

As soon as I heard those words, I rushed outside and jumped on the trampoline with the boys. Even though I had just ate supper and knew my stomach would not feel too great, even though I had a pile of dirty dishes, even though...etc.

And you know what? Noah and Rhett had the most fun. Noah looked at me and said, "Mom, this is the best day ever."

Just because I decided to take that moment and "live them while you can."

Life is hard. Life is not fair and life goes by too fast. But one person has the power to make another person smile. To make someone's day "happy."

And I know I had more fun jumping on the trampoline than I would have washing dishes. Dishes will still be there. Little moments like that---well, they probably won't.

Realizing this, I decided we should play a game of Monopoly Jr. together. Rhett and I had fun "being poor" together while Noah couldn't stop laughing about how "rich" he was. I lost the game, but won as a mom last night.

So, I hope today you do something fun, something that you don't think you have time for but want to do. It might change your whole attitude about your day--at least for a moment or two.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those were the times I enjoyed the most. I tried to do fun things with the boys when they were little instead of always saying I was too busy. Time has a way of passing too quickly and then they do not want to spend time with you. Enjoy every minute you have with them. Sandy

Krista said...

Even if they don't remember this particular day, your boys will remember they had a fun mom!

I think I say "Just a minute!" way too much. I need to remember that all that other stuff can wait. How does that poem go --

Quiet down cobwebs
Dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby
And babies don't keep.

Aw, I'm making my own self cry!

eMeLiNe Seet said...

u r one great positive mom ! your boys are blessed to have u ... :)

emeline