Wednesday, November 01, 2006

23 days

...until Thanksgiving! That means 22 more days until I see my sisters and their families! I am so excited! And because Thanksgiving is all about being thankful, I will post one thing I am thankful for each day of November. (or each time I blog). Because I really am thankful for so many things. So here's the first:

I am thankful for...
----my grandparents. Today is my grandad's birthday so I have been thinking about him and both my grandmothers a lot. I realize how lucky I am to still have living grandparents, because so many people around me do not. I realize how lucky my kids are to know their great-grandparents. I realize, now that I am older especially, how cool they are and how much they have lived through. My sister, Krista, edited a book of my Great-grandmother's diaries and I think my family is so fortunate to, one, have such a talented person to go through all those writings and actually get them into book form (thanks sis!) and two, have Grannie actually write down her history. Because now, not only do I get to read what life was like in her life, my kids and future grandkids do too. Cool. Anyway, my point is that I wish my three grandparents would do something similar. My late maternal grandfather was in the war and never really liked to talk about it but I wish that he had or at least wrote it down because wouldn't it be so cool to know his experiences? Wishing aside, I am very grateful for the time I had with him and have with my other grandparents.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent thankful blog. I was old enough to remember my great-great grandmother on my mother's side of the family! Of course, like many things, you don't fully appreciate them until you are older or until they are gone.

Christy

Unknown said...

I like this idea - great memories!

H Noble said...

Thank you Aimee, for putting things in perspective and helping us remember that Thanksgiving is more than just Turkey Day.

I always wanted a copy of Krista's book- what is it called and how do I get a copy?

H

Krista said...

That's funny (in the ironic sense), I was thinking a lot about Granddad O yesterday. I really wish my kids could've met him.