Monday, November 20, 2006

a little conversation

...This morning Noah came into my room. I haven't shared a conversation with one of the boys in awhile, so here it is:

N: Will you scoot over, Mom?
(I look at the clock 7:13 am. It is okay. I need to be awake anyway).
N: Thank you!
silence for 8, 9, 10...
N: Mom, what are cheeks for?
me: Uhh, for holding your food in your mouth.
N: Ohhh. That's what they are for. I LOVE cheeks.
...
N: What are tummys for?
me: For holding your food inside your body. (Can you tell I was hungry?)
N: What are these for? (pointing to chin)
me: A Chin? So you can open and close your mouth. (have you ever tried to explain why your body has parts to an almost 4 year old? It is hard).
N: Ohhh. So if you didn't have a chin your mouth would just do this. (holding mouth open)
me: Yes.
N: Look. This is my Little Dog. See it has my name---Noah Houston (on the tag)
me: Yeah.
N: How do you spell Noah's dogs?
me: N-O-A-H-'-S D-O-G-S
N: What is a chee?
me: G!
N: Ohh. I get it. A G!
me: Yes.
N: Look. Rufus is a hairy dog. You can sleep with Rufus.
(hands me Rufus)
N: Joker's hair is spiky. He could poke Rufus with his hair....I wish Rufus was hard. Like a robot.
N: Mom?
me: Yes Noah?
N: I wish Rufus was a robot dog.
me: Ok. I am going to go to the bathroom.
N: If he was a robot dog, he would be hard and bark and move.
N: (a little louder now) Can I have a robot dog for my birthday? I want a big one!
...
N: MOM! Did you hear me?
A: Noah! I am in the bathroom!
N: Okay. Okay. I just wanted you to know about my robot dog.


I am thankful for the random minds of my children. I love that they can jump from one thing to another. I am thankful that they are so curious, although I wish I could come up with better answers. But how do you explain to a little child where water comes from? They don't understand elements. The first time Rhett asked me where water comes from, I said it came from the ground. (I was using the hose at the time). No, he said, where does it come from? Totally stumped. Then the 2nd time they asked I remembered (Ok, Seth reminded me) H2O. So I told them. Huh? Yeah, exactly. I am thankful for my kids. They keep me on my toes, they keep me laughing, they keep me on the move, and they always remind me how much I've got in this life. I am thankful that in less than 4 days, I will have my nephews and nieces here and we'll have 7 kids making us laugh and feel blessed. Thank God for kids.

_______________________________________

We are going to see Happy Feet today. The boys were so good yesterday while I cleaned the house, so this is their little reward. I'll let you know how it is. But I know it will be cute. I love penguins.

3 comments:

Krista said...

So have you gotten Noah his robot dog yet?

Mallory said she wanted to take ME to see Happy Feet, since penguins are my favorite. Let me know if it's any good!

H Noble said...

How sweet! You are so blessed and I love that you know that.
I got to spend a couple of hours with Jared and Tyler on Saturday and it was wonderful. Jared sat on my lap for most of that time and picked all of the mushrooms off of my burger, but that's okay. That's what aunts are for. Such precious little boys!
Holly

Abbey said...

I hope you have a great time with the family for Thanksgiving! I know it will be loud and crazy but you will love every minute of it! I have to admit, a robot dog would be pretty cool! Santa will have to keep his eyes out for one!