Tuesday, November 14, 2006

all about books

...I checked out Krista's blog and she had answered a book quiz and suggested that we, her readers, answered it too on our blog. So, that is what I am going to do. And I will sneak in my #8 for my thankful list too. :)

1. A book that changed your life.
Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself by Judy Blume. I think this was one of the first "big" books that I read and I absolutely loved it. Sally was imaginative, like me, and a dreamer, like me and I was instantly drawn to her. My real love of books began with this book. It had humor, drama and real-life history mixed in to make a great story. Wow.

2. A book you've read more than once.
Like my sister, I love re-reading books. I love re-reading biographies: Michael J. Fox, Nelly Connolly's, ect. and also great classics like To Kill a Mockingbird.
I re-read the Harry Potter collection every time a new one comes out.

3. A book you'd want on a desert island.
I think I'd want 3--The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. It takes me awhile to get through it, but I could read those three books over and over again. Classic good vs. evil.

4. A book that made you giddy.
Ummm, I really don't know. Maybe Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man because it was so hilarious and I just fell in love with Daisy Fay. And also, while I was reading it, I came across a passage that I had read in high school in my Prose competitions in Speech and I was so excited to read that again.

5. A book that you wish would be written.
A book that would never end. I don't like when the books I read end. It makes me sad.

6. A book that wracked you with sobs.
I don't know if a book has ever wracked me with sobs, but I know Where the Red Fern Grows came pretty close. Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco made my kids wonder what was wrong with me because I was crying so hard, I couldn't see the words. The Velveteen Rabbit is also a touching story. And that leads me to what I am thankful for:
#8. Good, ole Rufus. My mom and Christy may be the only people that remember Rufus so let me explain. He was a small, stuffed sheepdog. He had long, soft hair that covered his eyes and he wasn't stuffed very full, so he was pretty floppy. I think I got him in Jr. High, almost too old to play with stuffed animals, but I saw him and instantly loved him and told mom I wanted him for my birthday. So she gave him to me. Years after sleeping next to me, he was stuffed in the attic, along with my other childhood toys. The other day, I was cleaning out some things and I found this huge bag of stuffed toys. I went through them, wondering if I could wash some of them and let the boys have them. And who did I find? Rufus. He looked a little crumpled, but I gave him a good wash and dry and he came out good as new. I presented him to the boys and said to take good care of him. Now Rhett sleeps with him. He makes me give Rufus a kiss every night. And I love it. Absolutely love it!

7. A book you wish had never been written.
This is hard. I wish I had never read A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry because it was so sorrowful and disturbing that I could not go to sleep right away for weeks afterward, but to say I wish it had never been written would be wrong because things like those in the book really happen. Which is terribly sad.

8. A book you are currently reading.
Honestly, I have been reading cookbooks. And that is it. I am getting ready for Thanksgiving! :)

9. A book you've been meaning to read.
Look at Krista's blog. Every one that made her list, I am going to have to check out!

Now, it's your turn! What are some books you love?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, of course I remember Rufus! I bet I could even dig up a picture of him! Glad Rhett is enjoying him now.

Books I love - no particular order I guess -

Night (Wiesel)
Leaves of Grass
Secret Life of Bees
Landry (Tom Landry bio)
The Birth of Venus (Dunant)
To Kill a Mockingbird
Of Mice and Men
The Great Gatsby
Anything by Shakespeare
I also remember enjoying all the Little House on the Praire books as a young girl.

And so many, many more!

Christy

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten Rufus. I am so glad that Rhett is sleeping with him now. Rufus is your velveteen rabbit!

Mom

Krista said...

That's very sweet about Rufus. I'm glad he has found a second child to love him!

I haven't read lots of the books on your list. So I have to go add some to my want-to-read list now!