Monday, August 13, 2007

joy and a concern--updated

...Just a quick post today. I am trying to get Rhett back into the doctor's office today...his fever keeps coming back and now he is coughing so badly, sometimes it seems he can't catch his breath. I hope it is just bronchitis.

But I did want everyone to know that Christy and Casey had a beautiful baby boy Friday morning. His name is Connor Reese and he weighs 7 lbs and is 21 inches long! I talked to Casey and he said that his little one had some red hair on his head. I can't wait for pictures! Christy, I am so excited for you!

****
So after spending all morning at the doctor, I can now say that Rhett has (we think) walking pneumonia and (maybe) the beginnings of asthma. Yeah, it doesn't sound like I know anymore than I knew before. The doctor took an chest x-ray and said it could still just be viral, but with the fever, it probably is w.pneumonia. So, antibiotics for that should take care of the infection. But then she said that he was taking breaths the way asthmatics do. So she is treating that as well with an inhaler and a steroid. (In case, you really don't want to know all of this, I am sorry, but it is so helpful to write all of this down.) I asked her if he has asthma and she said she wasn't sure but she thinks so. Then she said, We always need to have the inhaler on hand so it does not get out of control again. Yikes.

So, right now, I am just trying to soak everything in. When you hear pneumonia and asthma in the same breath, it boggles your brain. At least it did mine. I don't want Rhett to have to deal with asthma but I am trying not to think about that right now. We go back in 2 weeks, so we will see what she says then.

Anyway, that is our story.

6 comments:

Abbey said...

Congrats to Christy and Casey! I can't wait for pictures. I'm also sorry Rhett still has "the fever." Hopefully it is nothing serious and easily resolved.

H Noble said...

I hope Rhett kicks this soon too! Poor kid!

Yea for Christy! I've been checking your blog like crazy and thinking you forgot about us! Cute name- and glad everyone is okay.
H

Krista said...

Is it possible that the asthma will go away when the pneumonia does? Hope he feels better really soon!

Anonymous said...

I hope that he doesn't have to deal with asthma. Maybe it is just the pneumonia that is making him breathe asthmatically. Glad that you got him in to see the dr.

Mom

H Noble said...

Sorry about the tentative diagnosis. It is not fun, and definitely better if he doesn't have it, but my brother is alive and kicking and dealt with asthma his whole life, when the doctors thought he wouldn't survive 2nd grade.
Hang in there and keep us updated!!
H

Amanda said...

Aww...Aimee! I hope it isn't asthma...however when some people have w. pneumonia or bronchitis they give them inhalers because of the stress on their lungs and breathing. That happened to my brother and it didn't end up being asthma! Hope all goes well for Rhett!