Wednesday, August 08, 2007

what today means to me

...First, there is no reason, really, why today means something to me. I do know an old friend that has a birthday today (8-8!), my mom is coming today, I did a little walking this morning, these things are great and are special. But my title does not mean that today is a very important date.

I am just trying to focus on the things in my life that are real, the here and now. Why today? Because yesterday was a blah day. Because while I was at the doctor's office with Rhett, the doctor said that we need to watch for pneumonia. (He is fine and she thinks he just has a cold but she said she has seen many cases lately, so we just need to be aware).

But I think that is when I jumped out of my blahness. I have been thinking a lot lately of who I am and how I think I am a bit flaky about things. I get excited about something, jump head first without thinking and then a few months down the line, am disappointed when it is not working out like I had hoped it would. I have done this more times than I really want to admit. So I had been feeling a little disappointed in myself that I am this way. I don't want to be like that anymore.

So right there at the doctor's office, I decided that I was going to first, enjoy my kids more. We are so lucky that we have two healthy kids that are close to each other and are active and are so alive with energy. I appreciate that so much. I don't always appreciate myself, though, and I should. I love being a stay-at-home mom. I need to stop thinking I need to "do" something else because I feel like I am not doing enough. Being a mom is tough. It is the hardest job I have ever had. It is also the most fun! I want to enjoy it.

Second, I am going to get focused. This is where I become flaky I think. I just don't always see the big picture because I just want to see the end result. I am very thankful for Seth because he always tries to slow me down and help me to see everything that goes in to this project or that idea. He grounds me. So I am slowing down. Again, enjoying life.

So today is a new day.

***

Did you know that I have been blogging for a year now? Thanks for reading my thoughts and sharing my life with me! I appreicate all of you so much and hope you have a good day!

4 comments:

Krista said...

Happy blogiversary!

Sorry about Rhett's cold. My cold turned into bronchitis (actually went to the doctor this morning because I was having chest pains -- I pulled a muscle in my chest from coughing so much. Fun!) so I hope he heals quickly!

You are an awesome mom and you shouldn't sell yourself short. I think it's good to do some self-reflecting though -- my problem is that I do the reflecting and then don't act on it. So good luck!

Anonymous said...

Wow - a year! You know I always enjoy reading whatever you have to say.

Yuck for the doctor - yea that there is nothing major wrong. It just doesn't seem natural to be sick with anything in the summer.

I think about not being a stay at home mom and not doing enough for my own kid - while spending all day teaching others kids. It takes all kinds though and most of us had working moms and we turned out pretty good! :) You're great - whatever you do!

Christy

Amanda said...

Enjoy life! Great blog!

H Noble said...

Happy blog-versary!! Reflection is good- don't beat yourself up, but we always need to strive for what really matters in life.
Happy striving!

H