Monday, November 10, 2008

bet you didn't know

...I went to Longview this weekend with Seth and the boys. No, I didn't get on the computer once. I found the "post options" feature on the blog that allows you to put the time you want to publish your blog and then I wrote this weekend's blogs all at once.

Awesome!

I hope that didn't ruin your blog-reading experience. :)

Anyway, it was Scott's birthday and so we went to help him celebrate it. We had a good time. The tall trees were just beautiful there--so colorful. They have this walking path behind their house and it cuts through the trees and it was so gorgeous. It reminded me of all the beautiful stories about children walking through the woods, discovering amazing things (The Chronicles of Narnia, Bridge to Teribithia, Spiderwick Chronicles).

I would have loved having that behind my house when I was a kid. But I did have a cool backyard. We lived on a farm and there were lots of things to discover.

My Backyard Thankful List:
1. The barn: This barn was empty enough for us to play tennis inside of it. We had to be careful though because if we hit the ball too hard or too high, it would go inside the barn walls never to be found again.
2. There was a junk pile of used metal and such that my brother and I made a time machine. I think we were channeling Doc and Marty McFly's time machine when we put the junk together. We had such fun playing there.
3. Beside the junk pile was a huge climbing tree. I loved going climbing it and writing letters or reading books. It was peaceful.
4. For a long time, we had an empty pool in between our house and my grandmother's house. It even had a pool house. I think it was one of our (meaning my brother and cousins) place to play when we were together. One day we decided to clean out one of the "dressing rooms" which was full of junk and we found an old letter jacket (either belonging to my dad or aunt-I've forgotten which). We loved sweeping and cleaning that pool house. Maybe we did it in hopes that our grandparents would see how neat it was and refill the pool. Nevermind that the reason they emptied it in the first place was because it leaked and brought water in their house.
5. We had a huge yard. It became even bigger when Dad would mow it and we would have to rake it. I hated raking the yard. But I passed the time by pretending the grass was rice and we had to rake it all together so the hungry could it. It did help to imagine I was doing it for a good cause (other than the grass would die if I did not rake the grass).

I could probably go on but I am in a baking mood. It is rainy and cold and I want to make some muffins. Have a great day.

5 comments:

H Noble said...

Ah, sounds like good memories. My dad let me have the loft in his barn and put a piece of old carpet and the cabinets they took out of the house when we renovated. I had quite the kitchen up there! Did you ever see it?

Krista said...

Loved the barn, although I played basketball in there instead of tennis. I also climbed all over the haybales pretending to be on the run from Nazis or other assorted bad guys.

Loved the tree too. And I always rollerskated either in or around the pool. The poolhouse itself gave me the creeps for some reason.

Anonymous said...

It was Casey's bday this past weekend as well! (9th) We love having a big yard as well - for Connor & the dogs. Not big enough for a barn, but good size none the less.

Christy

Anonymous said...

Oh, any pictures of Scott's backyard? Sounds like a good place for a family pic!

Christy

Abbey said...

How many hours did we kill on Sundays playing in the expanse of your yard? It funny because I was actually thinking about all the times we played in the pool just the other day. What great memories I have of bossing Casey around!!