Monday, November 24, 2008

dad, i'm sorry

...I started decorating for Christmas today. Before Thanksgiving.

I can see my father shaking his head right now. I am sure he is wondering if I learned anything from him.

:)

I'll have pictures tomorrow of something very cool that I did. Yes, it relates to the decorating for Christmas.

I could make excuses but he wouldn't care to hear them. I could say that I haven't gotten the tree down yet and I won't until the day after Thanksgiving. But that probably doesn't matter either.

I can remember when we would get a real tree and my dad would spend so much time trying to get that (insert word that any man would be thinking) tree trunk to fit into the tree holder. Then he would listen to us say, "It's leaning." over and over again. Then he would put the lights on the tree. And by now, he was in a not-so-jolly mood. My mom would have The Osmonds playing on the record player and I'm sure he wanted to run away screaming. But he didn't. He stayed, did his part, then let us finish decorating the tree without him. I think Mom might have made him caramel popcorn at times.

One year, our lovely leaning tree fell over, completely decorated. A few ornaments broke. And my dad had to put it back up. It was by our lovely wood-burning stove and I am sure my dad wanted to shove the whole lovely tree into the fire by that point. I don't know, I am just guessing.

When we got an artificial tree, I was a little sad. I know my dad wasn't.

I asked Seth the other day if we could get a "real" tree. I can't be sure, but I think I saw the same expression my dad had on his face when my mom mentioned it was time to get a tree.

I promptly dropped the subject.

See Dad? I did learn something.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny post! See how much he loved all of us though to do something that he so thoroughly disliked because he knew that we loved it!

Mom

Krista said...

Didn't we have to tie the tree to the ceiling with fishing line that year, or am I making that up?

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's what we had to do to keep it from falling over again.

Mom

Anonymous said...

My mom loves real trees and we had one every year growing up. She loves the smell. Nice, I agree...cleaning up, not so much!

On another note...do any of you moms have any great ideas for keeping the little ones away from the tree? Connor (16 months) may not bother it at all, but I am already worried. I can't NOT put it up though & I have to include all my fav. decorations?!?

Christy

H Noble said...

Christy, Justin's been saying we need to get one of the new hang-from-the-ceiling upside down trees this year. Just a thought!

Aimee, very funny. We always had artificial b/c Kelly was allergic till a couple of years when we were in college, but Mom's back to artificial. Justin's breaking me in on the needle clean up though! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

I remember those days. Daddy always brought in a 5 gal. bucket of dirt to put the tree in and Mother and 3 girls were telling him how to do it all. He usually wasn't too happy by the end either. Then Mother would spend hours putting on the icicles one by one. OUr tree was always beautiful, but I don't have the time or want to do all that. Sandy