Thursday, November 13, 2008

o Christmas cards

...o Christmas cards, how much do the boys hate to take them? A lot apparently. Actually this was after I made them smile "pretty." Then I told them to make a frowny face for fun and Rhett's was a fun frown but Noah's was a little too realistic. Can you tell he really knows how to pout?

The whole Christmas card thing is bothering me. On one hand, I love getting cards and also giving the cards to show off my boys. On the other hand, I dislike having to address them. On another hand (pretend I have more than 2 hands), I could just email out my holiday greetings this year because it creates less waste. On yet another hand, there are those who would not get them then. And also, I received less cards last year than the year before and am wondering if giving cards is just too big a hassle for people. Would anyone care if they didn't receive a card from me this year? (Well, I know one person: My grandmother's friend who just loves Noah wondered where her card was this past year and even asked my mom about it. I forgot to give her one). So what to do?

Really, what do I do? Or better yet, what are you going to do?

***
The one thing I am thankful for today is this little gem found in Oprah's magazine:

Barn's burnt down-
Now I can see the moon.
-Masahide (17th-century poet)

Certainly makes you see things in a different way, doesn't it? Everything has a reason, everything has a lesson. Good things come out of bad things, you just may have to look deeper.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to get & give cards - pictures or no pictures. I enjoy getting mail of course, but I also like the beauty & message each has.

I for one hope they don't go away!

Christy

Anonymous said...

Yes, one can certainly tell which one of your sons knows now to pout!

I too love to get and send cards. For us, it is a way to keep in touch with people that we don't see anymore. But I also love the pictures and messages.

Mom

Krista said...

Wow, Noah looks so big in that picture. (And very realisitically (can't spell that apparently) pouty too.)

I love getting Christmas cards too. I don't mail much of anything else throughout the year (pay most of my bills online, etc) so I feel okay with sending out cards.

H Noble said...

I'm with Christy. I love getting mail so I love sending it as well. And Christmas cards are one of my favorite parts of the season. I display them all on my hanging windows in the entryway/craft room, for all to see!