Sunday, November 16, 2008

i'm getting a lot out of this really

...So our preacher has been preaching a sermon series titled: Advent Consipracy. It is about how we should spend less this holiday on less meaningful gifts and material things and give more of ourselves. It is a great concept. But is it bad of me to think, "Our economy is so bad, we need people to spend more money during the holiday so things might get better." Even if that is not necessarily true, I still think it when he preaches.

I am planning on giving meaningful gifts this year. But I think I do that every year.

I do know the point of this series. It is to remember that Jesus is the reason. Spend time with your loved ones because that is what really matters.

This all sounded better in my head.

2 comments:

Krista said...

It is a dilemma, this economy thing. Weighing personal frugality against keeping stores afloat. Everything has a ripple effect. It's all so complicated. Makes me not want to listen to the news at all.

Cheryl Wray said...

I agree. We need people to spend money over the holidays.

The key, I think, is to not go overboard. We never use credit at Christmas, we keep to a budget, and try and give meaningful gifts that people will really like.

But the thing that's been best for us over the years is our Family Advent that we do together. Have done it for 13 years and is the best thing for keeping the spirituality of Christmas intact for us.