Sunday, November 09, 2008

observations from where I sit

...I am sitting at my table with a witch decoration hanging on the chandaleir above me. I haven't returned the Halloween decorations to the closet yet.

Across from me are the photos of my family, from 2 years ago during Thanksgiving. I look at my nephews and nieces and sons and marvel at how fast time goes. All the children in the pictures look so young and chubby-faced.

Behind me are my cluttered shelves; stuffed full of crafts, scrapbooks and books about the environment, education, taking care of our bodies and gardening. There are many magazines where I have dog-eared pages that have gift ideas. On top of the shelves are things I love--Noah's "Van Gogh" artwork that he painted in art class, Rhett's portrait of me from Mother's Day last year, two drawings from both the boys that I framed, my tiled mirror that my mom surprised me with one Christmas and my LIVE sign which reminds me to be happy.

I am surrounded by clutter on my side of the table-my camera, stacks of school papers, my date book and the current book I am reading. There is a blue and green bowl where I house my keys and sunglasses. I have a water glass by my side at all times because I always have a dry mouth. Should that be something I look into? Hmm. There are two framed pictures of our beach vacation from this summer. I look at these pictures and see fun and peace.

The boys' side of the table only has a toy magazine and a green marker on it right now. Noah has taken after me and marks what he likes.

Noah's chair has stickers on it. Many "n" s. These stickers will probably be hard to take off and I will probably be annoyed while doing that but for now I smile.

This room is our craft room. Once a dining room, my sweet husband went to Ikea with the boys and bought tables and chairs and shelves and we transformed it into our all-purpose crafting, homework, computer, ect. room. I may no longer use it much for what it was intended (scrapbooking)but no doubt I use it everyday. The boys love this room too. They can be found here first thing in the morning and last thing at night. It is never clean, always cluttered with things and there is always trash on the floor. The other side of the table near the windows has stacks of magazines and a box of potato chip bags (remember the purse?). So now there is trash in boxes too. But I don't want to change one thing. I love this room. I am so thankful for it. From this room, I can hear the music that my husband goes to sleep to in the living room. From this chair, I can see the boys play the Wii from the family room or talk to them across the table while they are working on their latest project or homework.

That is why I love this room.

3 comments:

Cheryl Wray said...

This is such a great post. I love how blogging can help us capture these "every day" moments.

H Noble said...

Funny how blogging every day can make you stop and think about what you can share with others about your life.
Thanks, I can just picture you sitting there smiling!

Krista said...

You are very lucky to have a room like that. Thanks for sharing it.

I can't believe that Thanksgiving was two years ago.