Wednesday, October 11, 2006

d.o.g.s. are watching

...my son's school, that is. Watch D.O.G.S. or Dads of Great Students is a group of fathers (duh) that literally hang around the school and watch out for the kids. They also help out at the school. When Seth went to the first meeting a month ago, I didn't think much about it. I thought it was nice. Then, the wave of school shootings happened. And, honestly, I didn't think about it then either. I think I was blocking those things from my mind because if I gave it a seconds thought, I would have connected those with "oh my son goes to school...I hope he is safe." and that would have been overwhelming. But Seth mentioned it and I finally realized that I need to be aware of these things. I also saw a little blurb in the school's newsletter about how they need the Watch D.O.G.S more than ever. Just having men present in the hallways makes the school safer.

But I didn't really appreciate it until Monday. That day, while picking Rhett up from school, I noticed two fathers helping with the pick-up. They were taking children to their cars. One was a pretty big man. Instantly, my heart felt relief. Those men are taking time out from their work to take care of my son and other mother's children. Keeping them safe and keeping the other parents from worrying so much. Because if a school shooting can occur in an Amish community, then it can occur anywhere. So I am very thankful for those dads. And I am very thankful for the school for doing their part in keeping my kid safe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool idea! If anything, it also gives the kids some male influence, role modeles in the building - which is usually lacking in the elementary schools.

I know I don't know about Rhett's school situation, but I know that I take my position in my students lives very seriously. I have numberous parents who intrust their kids to me every day - huge responsiblity - and I would do anything I needed to do to protect and watch over them while they are in my care. I'm sure the same for Rhett's teacher! :) So although there will always be some worry - know that we teachers will be providing the safest environment possible for your kiddos!

Your favorite LBK teacher!
Christy

H Noble said...

That sounds like a great program and I'm glad that Seth is involved. Besides deterring potential crime, it is nice that kids who may not have a dad in the picture at least have a male presence there.
H

Abbey said...

That is such a great idea! We have a dad's club at my school too. Their main job is to do handy stuff for us teachers. They've installed many things like soccer nets, playground equipment and my personal favorite...hooks for the kids coats outside my room!

And I agree with Christy. I'd protect any of my kids regardless of the circumstance while at school (I'm even saying this after the fair trip today!)

Krista said...

Ha! I just noticed your new headline. Now I'll have that song in my head all day!