Friday, October 20, 2006

going to the movies (edited at bottom)

...I told the boys that we could go see a movie today. I really want to see Flicka, the boys want to see Open Season. I wonder who will win in this situation? I will have to wait until Flicka is out on video, I guess. :)

There are so many movies out on video that I want to see but just haven't yet. These are the movies that I wanted to see when they were out in the theaters but we just didn't. For starters, the prices are getting ridiculously high. I figure I can wait a few more months until it is on dvd. And for the most part, I can. I think Flicka is a book. Maybe I will read the book first. They are always better than the movie anyway.

I watched a really good movie the other day. North County. If you have not watched this yet, then make time for it. I thought it would be like other woman rights in the workplace movies, (like the Sally Field movie--Norma Ray--is that the spelling or the right name of the movie?) and a lot of it was similar. But this movie really touched me. I cried and cried. The father-daughter parts especially were so moving.

There are movies that no matter how many times I watch, I will cry. I think I cry harder each time because I know what is going to happen. But I love watching them. Here are my top tearjerkers with the parts that make me cry (so if you haven't watched them and don't want to know, stop reading!)

1. Castaway: The part where Wilson is lost forever and Tom Hanks character just breaks down makes me tear up but the part where I really cry is when he and Helen Hunt's character breakdown and reveal how much they love each other but they realize they can't be together. How sad is that!
2. Steel Magnolias: Of course. But I cried worse at this movie when I became a mother. Same goes for the other Shirley Maclaine movie with Debra Winger. What is that one called?
3. Backdraft: My love for Kurt Russell makes this one a top tearjerker. I just bawl. Seth laughs at me. It is a sad sight to see.
4. The Fox and the Hound: I can't even watch this movie because of the ending. I know it is coming and with the boys in the room, I have to leave. The other day while at Grandmom's house, the boys watched it with her and I walked in the last 2 minutes and started boo-hooing. I warned my mom it was sad and could see that it got to her too.

I am almost positive that Open Season won't be a tearjerker, so I don't think I'll bring my tissues. Have a great Friday!


eta: Okay, we saw Open Season and although it wasn't the best, it wasn't the worst either. There were a few funny moments. And I'll have to add The Family Stone to my "cry list" because I have watched it at least 5 times now and cry everytime. It also has some really funny moments too. Holly helped me think of that one, so thanks friend!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent "Cry List" of movies - I agree. I would like to add, Stepmom - Julia Roberts, Susan Sarandon - gets me everytime. Then there are the movies that make you cry but for a whole different reason - they are that bad! :)
Christy

H Noble said...

Good post, but I don't think you will be seeing Flicka today either.

Have you seen The Family Stone? It drags in parts, but I love the different interactions with each of the family members, and I cry every time when the mom (Diane Keaton) and dad (Craig T. Nelson) are laying in bed together, knowing that she is dying of breast cancer. Its brutal!
H

Krista said...

Remember when I took you and Abbey and Andy Kendrick to see Backdraft, when you all stayed with me in Austin before going to church camp? We were all sobbing the whole way home from the theatre. (Although perhaps the three of you were actually crying at the prospect of staying overnight in my scary apartment!)

Enjoy Open Season!

aimee said...

Krista!! I remember that! Andy was so embarrassed to be crying too. But we didn't care because it was so sad!!! (And we loved getting to stay at your apartment! It was a blast!)

aimee said...

Holly, I love the Family Stone. Definitely a tearjerker. But it cracks me up too. The part where they are chasing each other? Hilarious!

Abbey said...

I will never forget standing in the parking lot after Backdraft just boo-hooing! Funny memory. I'd like to add "Saving Private Ryan". I can't watch that b/c it depicts the battle my g-dad was in.

H Noble said...

I thought we were just talking about the sad stuff! My favorite part of Family Stone is when Luke Wilson walks up behind Sarah Jessica Parker and says, "Now, are those mushrooms?" "I DIDN'T KNOW!" Justin and I say that all the time!
H

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing the "cry list" and your thoughts on the movies. My husband loves them as much as I do.
Blessings,
Nancy

aimee said...

I do remember now that Andy stopped crying long before we did, so maybe he was more embarrassed to be seen with us.

Oh and Holly, that part is so funny. One of my favorite lines is when Luke Wilson tells Meridith that she flies a freak flag but just doesn't show it. Ha!

H Noble said...

I cry from laughter at National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, does that count?

Justin