Friday, August 25, 2006

a good man

...stopped to help an older lady and her daughters yesterday. They were on the side of the interstate and their car had a flat tire. At first, Seth drove on by and then had that feeling. I think of it as the "God feeling" because it happens when God wants you to do something good. I have had these feelings before and am ashamed to admit I don't always follow through. However, Seth knew he had to stop. His actual words to me were, "I knew I could not go home and face my sons, knowing I did not stop." So he turned around and tried to help.

It is funny. (Not ha-ha funny, just funny weird) I was just thinking of this song from Caedman's Call yesterday called This World has Nothing for Me while reading a very inspiring blog. What I read made me think of the chorus of the song: This world has nothing for me and this world has everything. Everything that I could want and nothing that I need. After that, I had that song in my mind all day and got stuck on two lines: And the least of these look like criminals to me, so I leave Christ on the street. I thought about what that meant and prayed that God would make me aware so I would not do that. That I would have the heart to help people who needed it at that moment, even if they don't look like what I think they should look like. Then Seth came home and told me his story. He said that these ladies weren't the best looking women in the world and weren't driving the best car. He knew if they were gorgeous and driving a Lexus, many people would stop to help. No one was stopping for these ladies. So he went back.

Now, my good friend, Holly, once emailed me that there are no coincidences in life, it is God trying to tell you something. And I believe this to be true. And totally cool. This happening last night and to Seth was not a coincidence. God was answering my prayer.

And I thank Him for it. I also thank Him for my sons' wonderful father. We are very lucky.

3 comments:

H Noble said...

We are all blessed beyond belief, that's for sure. And what little time I have spent with you guys, I know you both are blessed as well!

Great story and reminder!

J

H Noble said...

That made me teary, A! I'm glad he stopped. Its scary to help people sometimes b/c so many bad things happen, but you can't deny when God's talking to you. I'm sure it probably blessed Seth more than those ladies too! That's how service usually is.
Love you!!!
H

Anonymous said...

You need to stop writing things like that Aims. People are going to start thinking that I am a nice guy.

S