Friday, August 18, 2006

it's birthday time

...for a couple of people in my family. Wednesday was my grandma's birthday. (Yes, I did send her a card--thanks for reminding me, Mom). As I get older, I really appreciate my grandparents more and more. What I remember about Grandma Lavon while I was growing up (as her neighbor, I might add) is that we were always welcome in her house no matter what and I thought she had the coolest house ever. She and grandad had a putt-putt golf course in their house! It also had saloon doors to their bedroom. Their toilet seat had a $2 bill in it! Very impressive for a little girl! :)

And the other birthday happens tomorrow. The boy's "Pop" and my father-in-law, Sammy. He is such a great grandfather to the boys. We appreciate him for all he does for us. If you are reading this, we love you, you mean the world to us and we hope you have a fantastic birthday!!!

And after Pop's birthday, my favorite season, Fall, will be almost upon us. I love Fall. My family celebrates many birthdays during the Fall and Winter months. And I absolutely love birthdays. Mine and everyone else's. I love giving gifts, cards, making cakes, opening presents, the whole thing. Yes, the getting older thing has put a tiny crimp in things, but not too much. I still think people should not have to do anything they don't want to do on their birthdays. That includes going to work, doing laundry, taking the trash out, or cleaning up messes. (This is a wish, not an actuality for me, just so you know). One should feel special on their birthdays. They have every right to. That is the day God chose to put them on this earth. That is the day when they get to reflect on their life and choices they have made. That is the day when they get to celebrate how far they have come and how far they would like to go. It is a special day! So, when your birthday comes around -(Seth, I am talking to you now)- it is okay to feel special. It is okay to tell people, "Hey, it's my birthday." It is okay to celebrate!!!

Have a great day!

2 comments:

H Noble said...

Aimee- I couln't have said it better if I had tried. I absolutely love my birthday and helping other people celebrate theirs as well. I'm all about not working on my birthday, but somehow ended up doing it anyway this year. I couldn't justify taking off since I had stretched my birthday celebrating out over about a month.
J sent me flowers at work though, two days before, one day before AND the day of my birthday! He's the best!
You're birthday is in just over a month- woohoo!
H

Abbey said...

I love birthdays too! Last year I only had to work 1/2 day b/c it was an early release day. That was the best gift ever considering the class I had. I also remember your grandparents house being cool. I don't remember the saloon doors but I do remember the putting green and the toilet seat. Also playing outside in their vacant swimming pool and in the tree line by thier house. My wish about my grandparents is that I had listened more carefully to all of the stories they had about thier childhood and mine. You do learn to cherish them more as time passes.