Wednesday, August 30, 2006

green tea and mango

...make a perfect combination. I'm talking about Snapple's Mangooo Tea. I actually like it. Let me back up for a second.

See, I am not a tea drinker. I have never liked it. But lately, I want to. Because I want to have a hot drink besides hot chocolate on cold mornings or lazy afternoons. Because if I ever go to another book reading (like my sister's Krista's last December), or a luncheon or a brunch and the only thing they have to drink is tea or coffee, I don't want to have to ask, "Do you have any water instead?" Because it smells so good. Because it is good for you.

So I am trying. The first one I tried was easy to like. Chai tea latte. (Not to be confused with tai chi. I've done it. I admit it. ) Love it. It is creamy, smells heavenly and is sweet. I especially love Oregon Chai The Original Chai Tea Latte Mix.

Then I tried others which were harder to like. Lemon, chamomile, cinnamon apple--they were okay, but I just couldn't drink the whole cup. Today, I tried the Snapple brand of Green Tea that I talked about at the first of this post. And I think I actually like it. Or will learn to like it. And will drink it. In the mornings, in the afternoon, on cold days, in the house or in the car. I will drink it anywhere. :)

So, like that character in Green Eggs and Ham, I never tried tea because I never thought I would like it and turns out, Green tea and Mango is good. When will I remember that Dr. Seuss is always right? Try it and you may, he says. Try it and you may.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is that recipe for Hot Chocolate Cake from Real Simple (Feb 2005):

1 stick butter, plus extra for coating
3 T flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 c sugar, plus extra for dusting
10 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 t salt
1/2 c mini marshmallows
2 T unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter, flour, and sugar eight 6-oz coffee cups made of ovenproof stoneware, or eight 6-oz ramekins, or 10-in springform pan. Wipe rims clean.
Place 1 stick butter and the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and melt, stirring once or twice until smooth. (I melted this in the microwave, still worked). Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Using a mixer, beat the eggs, yolk, vanilla, salt and 1/2 c sugar at the hightest speed until the volume doubles and the mixture becomes foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir the 3 T of flour into the chocolate, then gradually add it to the egg mixture, beating on low until it's fully incorporated.
If using cups or ramekins: Ladle the batter into each cup until it's about 1/2 in from the rim. Bake until the cakes puff and begin to crack but the centers are still a bit runny, 13-17 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with marshmallows, then return to oven for 2-4 minutes, until marshmallow tops begin to crisp. Remove from oven; let cool about 5 minutes. Sift the cocoa on top.
If using springform pan: Pour all the batter into pan. Bake for 22-25 minutes or, if you prefer a more gooey center, bake for 17-20 minutes. Sprinkle with marshmallows, bake for 2-4 minutes more and remove from oven. Let cool about 5 minutes. Sift the cocoa on top.

This cake is delicious warm but also very tasty at room temperature.

2 comments:

H Noble said...

You're funny. I love tea and learned to drink it sweet when I got married. J's aunt actually makes tea syrup and you add however much water you want to it.
I'm not much on flavored tea, but I do like Crystal Light's Peach Tea. That's about it for me. My favorite? The plain jain tea at a Chinese place in McKinney called Tasty China. Its probably just instant Lipton, but I love it!

Way to go trying new things! And thanks for the recipe!
H

Krista said...

Hee, I remember the tai chi/chai tea confusion! Good times.

Earl Grey is pretty good, as long as you add lots of sugar and a bit of milk.