Monday, August 14, 2006

a little surprised

...and disappointed in finding out that Rhett's kindergarten will only be for 2 1/2 hours every day. What?! How will they learn anything in just 2 1/2 hours? Maybe I am just being a Texas snob about the whole thing, but I just can't see how in just 2 1/2 hours they will be able to settle a bunch of kindergarteners down, teach them their abcs(ok-I really mean "to read", I admit it), about science, about art, about music, about numbers, and how to be socially acceptable human beings. Isn't that what kindergarten is all about?

I am going to enroll him right now and I think I will ask.

I'll keep you posted.

eta: Well, I checked out the situation. Apparently, half-day kindergartens are standard in Edmond, which is fine. But, there are some elementary schools that start at 8:30 and some that start at 9 am. Rhett's starts at 9 am. I guess lunch is around 11:30, therefore, the end of morning kindergarten. There is an info day Thursday so I will try to find out what exactly they plan on doing in kindergarten.

10 comments:

H Noble said...

Are you kidding? I've heard of half days for the first week, but good grief! That's not even enough time to calm them down and get started on something. Let me know what you find out- if this is standard OK issue or just his school.
H

H Noble said...

I only had a half day kindergarden. I turned out ok. But 2 1/5 hrs? That's pretty short.

Keep us posted.

J

aimee said...

J- I don't mind the half-day part. I hope you didn't get that impression. In fact, that really was okay with me because I thought it would be better for Noah (wouldn't have to be so long without his brother). I am just worried about the learning part.

H Noble said...

I agree with that Aim. It doesn't make sense to start at 9 and leave at 11:30. The other one is only 3 hours though, right? Not much difference.
Now we know what's wrong with my husband and why he can't spell kindergarten. Love you J!
H

H Noble said...

Hey the spell checker on this thing stinks...give me a break.

J

aimee said...

You know I didn't even notice that! Good thing I didn't because I would have really been worried about the half-day kindergarten then! :)

H Noble said...

Maybe he's on to something with his algebra though, since he's calculated Rhett's time in school to be 2 1/5 hours. Hmmm... I don't think we learned that from Ms. Richards Aimee! But then again, I think all I learned in that class was the power of intimidation!
H

H Noble said...

Man...Talk about picking my post apart. I am going to need a grammer checker, spell checker, and a math checker. There goes the family budget again.

H Noble said...

Now we all know that wifie is your spell-checker, grammar checker and math checker. I'm all you need!
H

aimee said...

I admit, I did notice the 2 1/5 thing, but didn't want to say anything...

:)