Monday, January 29, 2007

i'm me for a reason

...I started reading a book this week that has totally transformed my way of thinking about my life. It is by Max Lucado:
(small picture I know)

It is all about living in your sweet spot. And it really is a feel-good book and I think everyone needs to read one of those every once in a while. I think it is so important that I am going to share with you some thoughts about each chapter one day every week.

Chapter One: Your Sweet Spot (You Have One!)
Max Lucado spends his time in this chapter telling you that you have unique gifts from God.
"Brick by brick, life by life, God is creating a kingdom, a "spiritual house" (1 Peter 2:5 CEV). He entrusted you with a key task in the project. Examine your tools and discover it. Your ability unveils your destiny."
(p.2)


I love that. Your ability unveils your destiny. Isn't that wonderful? That says to me that the special skills I have, the things that I do that make me feel good about myself are gifts that God gave me. And the lesson is this: You are needed, no matter what you are called to do. You matter to society. More importantly, you matter to God. So "use your uniqueness (what you do) to make a big deal of of God (why you do it) every day of your life (where you do it)." (p. 7) Then, you'll find your sweet spot or cure for the common life.


If you don't know what your sweet spot is, don't worry--it can be found. You just have to reflect on what times in your life where you have been successful and have loved it. When you thought, "Wow, I was made to do this!"
So we need to think about times, starting when we were children, when we
*did something well
*and enjoyed doing it
Max Lucado calls this success and satisfaction and the intersection of the two is where you find your sweet spot. And anything that made you feel important, no matter how trivial it may seem now, counts. Think of specific events, accomplishments, and actions in your childhood and adulthood.


Here are mine:

Childhood/Youth
*tried out for a part in the 5th grade play and because I overcame my shyness and really boomed my voice out, I got a fairly good part.
*I would spend hours playing with my dolls, making up stories.
*in first grade, I won a coloring contest.
*in fifth grade, I got to compete in Ready Writing.
*made supper with my oldest sister, Jana, a few times.
*in 8th grade, wrote a salutatorian speech all by myself.
*in 11th grade, was awarded All-Star Cast in One-Act Play
*in 12th grade, I decided to forgo my chance on becoming salutatorian by dropping out of physics and taking a Homemaking class instead.
*in 12th grade, I decided to take Art, even though none of my friends were in it. I decided I really wanted to and didn't care what others thought.
*in 12th grade, I spent half the night making a paper model for Calculus, even though I could have just drawn it. I really concentrated on this and wanted it to look good. I loved working with paper. :)
*overcame my usual introverted self again by singing and acting in a pageant.


And I think that is where I'll stop. If you want to participate, think of things in your childhood that really stand out as accomplishments for you. And if you want to post your list here, that would be great. If not, then that is fine too. Like I said before, this book just makes me feel good about myself and if it makes you feel good too, then I am glad I posted this! :)
Have a great day!

4 comments:

Krista said...

That does sound like a good book. I think I am definitely someone who needs help figuring out where to go next with my life, so maybe I'll check it out!

Anonymous said...

I may have to check that book out too. It sounds good.

Mom

Toby E. said...

I also agree it sounds good. Already looked it up on the library web sight and requested it to be held so I can go pick it up tomorrow. Sounds like just the kind of thing I've been looking for. Thanks for sharing!

H Noble said...

What a good thing to think about! I love that I remember some of those moments for you, and was blown away that you dropped physics for HE knowing you would lose that credit. I honestly didn't know that. I thought you just hated physics (maybe you did, but you probably gained so much more from HE)!

I'm going to think about my list, but will probably make a post on my blog as it will be too long. Stay tuned...
H